History and culture

MINERVINO DI LECCE

Stone, time and memory

Built in the seventeenth century, it is located at the edge of the town, along the road that leads to Giuggianello. The entrance, set below street level, is surprising for its discretion and invites you to slow down your gaze. You enter by going down twelve steps – perhaps to evoke the apostles – that lead to a single, silent and intimate nave. The baroque altar in Lecce stone, dated 1680, houses a seventeenth-century canvas donated, it is said, by a sailor who escaped a storm. By tradition, young brides would place their wedding dress there as a vow to the Virgin, while mothers would offer small monk's clothes for their children. The light, filtered by nine grid windows, caresses the yellow plastered surfaces and the arches with niches and carved benches. Perhaps once a Basilian crypt, perhaps a refuge, this church continues to guard stories: some say that, by putting your ear to the altar, you can still hear the sea.

Rock Church Madonna delle Grazie

Built in the seventeenth century, it is located at the edge of the town, along the road that leads to Giuggianello. The entrance, set below street level, is surprising for its discretion and invites you to slow down your gaze. You enter by going down twelve steps – perhaps to evoke the apostles – that lead to a single, silent and intimate nave. The baroque altar in Lecce stone, dated 1680, houses a seventeenth-century canvas donated, it is said, by a sailor who escaped a storm. By tradition, young brides would place their wedding dress there as a vow to the Virgin, while mothers would offer small monk's clothes for their children. The light, filtered by nine grid windows, caresses the yellow plastered surfaces and the arches with niches and carved benches. Perhaps once a Basilian crypt, perhaps a refuge, this church continues to guard stories: some say that, by putting your ear to the altar, you can still hear the sea.

 Maria Santissima Immacolata's Church

Located in the north-eastern outskirts of the town, along the road that leads to Uggiano la Chiesa, the Church of Maria Santissima Immacolata, also known as the Church of Santa Lucia, is a place of worship dear to the community of Minervino. Its origins date back to 1581, but the current building is the result of a reconstruction that took place between the end of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th century, supported by the offerings of the faithful. The façade was completed in 1717, as evidenced by the inscription engraved on the entrance portal.

On the outside, the simple façade in Lecce stone leads to a harmonious interior, with a single nave enriched with frescoes and a high altar that houses a canvas of the Immaculate Conception. At the foot of the triumphal arch are the statues of San Michele and Santa Lucia, while on the sides, other saints and pictorial motifs tell episodes from the life of Jesus and Mary.

Recently restored, the church retains an intimate and luminous atmosphere

San Pietro's Church

Si affaccia sulla piazza omonima, all’ingresso nord del paese, in una posizione rialzata che domina il piccolo slargo urbano. Ricostruita nel 1765, poggia su un basamento in pietra e accoglie chi arriva con la sua facciata scandita da lesene e coronata da un campaniletto a vela. L’interno è semplice ma armonioso: un’aula unica, illuminata da tre finestre con vetrate a croce, e scandita da arcate e lesene in pietra leccese. La porta laterale sinistra conserva un’epigrafe in dialetto del 1473 che recita: “Come il leone è il re degli animali, così Minervino è il re dei casali” – un motto di orgoglio civico che rivela la fierezza identitaria della comunità. Secondo una tradizione popolare di origine antica, l’edificio sorgerebbe nel luogo in cui si sarebbe fermato l’apostolo Pietro, di ritorno dall’Oriente e in viaggio verso Roma. Le visite pastorali seicentesche raccontano di affreschi oggi scomparsi, ma l’antico altare e le sue pietre continuano a custodire il respiro di un culto profondo.

Santa Croce's Church

Just outside the village, along a road that winds through olive trees and silence, stands the Church of Santa Croce, small and solemn in its bare stone. Probably founded in the fourteenth century, it still retains the original apse, visible only from the outside, while the interior reveals centuries of transformations. The interior, intimate and harmonious, houses frescoes that have re-emerged from time: on the walls, between pillars and arches, faded faces and sacred scenes emerge, from the Madonna della Mela to San Francesco, from the Madonna del latte to Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, up to the Easter of Christ. Precious testimonies of a simple and tenacious faith. The star vaults and the leafy motifs of the keystones reveal the Baroque imprint, added in the seventeenth century. On the façade, hanging arches and a light cross tell of the care with which it was designed. It is a place that invites meditation, surrounded by pine trees and silence, where the light filters discreetly and every stone still seems to listen.

Padri Riformati' Convent and Sant' Antonio da Padova's Church 

Built between 1624 and 1628 at the invitation of the local Universitas di Minervino di Lecce, with the authorization of Archbishop Diego Lopez De Andrada and by will of Roberto Venturi, the church and convent of Sant’Antonio da Padova were entrusted to the Reformed Fathers, a branch of the Franciscan Order inspired by a rigorous observance of the rule of Saint Francis. The sober and severe façade conceals an elegant interior with two naves. The high altar houses a canvas attributed to the late Mannerist painter Gian Domenico Catalano; also of particular value are the organ from 1733 and the statue of Sant’Antonio donated by the archbishop. During the restoration, eight underground burial chambers were discovered under the floor, evidence of the ancient practice of burial in sacred places. For centuries, the convent has been a vital center for the community: the friars educated the young, assisted the needy and spread culture and values. A community vocation that is renewed today in the cultural and agri-food enhancement project Borghi Divini.

Chiesa Madre di San Michele Arcangelo

In the heart of Minervino, the Mother Church has welcomed the gaze of those who pass by for centuries. Rebuilt in 1573 on an already sacred site, it is a blend of history, faith and light. Its asymmetrical façade is dominated by one of the most fascinating rose windows in Puglia, a candidate for UNESCO recognition with the project “The Rose Windows of Puglia”: a stone embroidery sculpted with spirals, angels, flowers and acanthus leaves. Attributed to the same school that created the one in Santa Croce in Lecce, it bears the imprint of Gabriele Riccardi, the architect who completed the first order of Santa Croce in Lecce in 1582 and of one of his students, Giovanni Maria Tarantino from Nardò. The building, rebuilt on a previous church, has a façade framed by two lateral pilasters, i.e. pillars incorporated into the wall that have a static function but protrude like pilaster strips. The rose window reveals every equinox an event that tastes of wonder: at sunset, the sun passes through the rose window and perfectly illuminates the apse, touching the effigy of San Michele. Inside, a single nave leads to a baroque apse of rare elegance. And on the external walls, the graffiti left by the inhabitants tell, like ancient whispers, of out-of-season snowfalls and stories to remember.

The apse sculpted by Gabriele Riccardi has two orders.

The first is made up of niches set between Corinthian columns surmounted by a frieze-decorated entablature; the second is made up of rectangular and square mirrors separated by pilaster strips and crowned by a second entablature from which the six stringcourses of the vault develop.

Dolmen Li Scusi e cultural parck

It emerges from the earth like a stone altar facing the sky. Massive, archaic, magnetic.
We are in Li Scusi, just outside the town, along the provincial road that leads to Uggiano la Chiesa. Here is one of the largest dolmens in Puglia, discovered in 1879. Eight vertical blocks support a horizontal covering slab that is over four meters high, forming a megalithic structure inclined and perpendicular to the sun at the summer solstice. As for its function, it is assumed that it was used as a collective tomb during the Bronze Age, although a ritual or cult destination seems more plausible, linked to the cycle of life and the connection with the cosmos. A place that expresses essentiality, permanence, mystery, where light and stone dialogue without filters, giving the visitor an experience of silence, listening and ancestral depth.
In 2009, the Dolmen Li Scusi Cultural Park was created with the aim of enhancing the monument and its context, giving it back its voice and centrality.

Un luogo in cui il tempo sembra sospendersi. A pochi chilometri dal centro abitato di Minervino, lungo la strada che conduce a Palmariggi, si apre un’area archeologica e paesaggistica pensata per restituire voce e centralità a uno dei più significativi monumenti megalitici di Puglia: il Dolmen Li Scusi.

Fu il primo dolmen della regione a essere scoperto e catalogato, nel 1879, diventando così punto di riferimento per gli studi sull’epoca preistorica nel Salento. Inaugurato nel 2009, come luogo di valorizzazione culturale e ambientale è un luogo essenziale, aperto alla fruizione lenta e consapevole, in cui ogni elemento — muretti a secco, sentieri, silenzi — accompagna verso l’incontro con la pietra.

Il nome “Li Scusi” richiama, secondo alcuni studiosi, l’idea di “nascondiglio” o rifugio (in dialetto “scusi” significa appunto nascosti), evocando un’antica funzione di protezione. Oggi quel nome e quel luogo continuano a restituire, al visitatore, un senso profondo di connessione con il paesaggio e la memoria del territorio.

Palazzo Scarciglia

Overlooking the ancient street of the same name, Palazzo Scarciglia is an eighteenth-century residence that belonged to one of the most influential families in the village. The carparo façade, with three Baroque portals with round arches and a coat of arms depicting a tower surmounted by an eagle, leads to an atrium decorated with floral motifs and stone balustrades.

The stories handed down over time give the portrait of a cultured family, rooted between Spongano and Minervino, protagonists of the cultural and religious life of the area. A local tradition tells of an orchard that belonged to Luigi Scarciglia, near the Church of San Pietro, where an underground passage to the castle of Otranto was opened. Myth or memory, it is part of the charm that can still be felt in Minervino today.

Today the restored palace hosts a hospitality residence.

Palazzo Venturi

In the heart of Minervino, Palazzo Venturi stands out with its compact and fortified structure, more similar to a fortress than a noble residence. Dating back to the 16th century, it was purchased in 1619 by the Venturi family, a noble family originally from Salerno, who also obtained the ducal title on that occasion. From the second half of the 17th century, it was the residence of the seignori who had reunified the fiefdom and who in Minervino di Lecce had previously lived in the oldest fortified building located in via Podgora. The building – which some sources would have risen on a previous Templar settlement – ​​represents a rare example of defensive civil architecture, with machicolations still visible and an imposing rusticated portal surmounted by the Venturi coat of arms, which confirm an idea of ​​power and defense. A careful restoration has enhanced the spaces: from the star vaults in Lecce stone to the chianche floors, up to the ancient ovens. Between internal gardens, frescoes and historical environments, the palace retains an austere and refined charm that has spanned the centuries. Today, transformed into a charming residence, it continues to tell its story through every architectural detail.


COCUMOLA VILLAGE

The ancient breath of stone

A name that seems like a caress. Among its courtyards and its dry stone walls, you can find the most authentic soul of rural Salento. Inhabited since the Bronze Age, as evidenced by the Messapian shapes carved into the rock, Cocumola is a place where stone dialogues with light and memory. The village has preserved its urban layout intact, made up of low houses, intimate churches and silent squares. Here time has a slow pace, bread has the scent of the past and life is intertwined with the earth. The cult of San Nicola marks the days of the year, and every corner tells a story that does not need to raise its voice to be heard.

Madonna Assunta'S Church

Overlooking the northern edge of the town, the Church of the Madonna Assunta has accompanied the religious life of Cocumola for centuries. According to tradition, a first place of Marian worship stood here as early as the seventeenth century, but it was during the eighteenth century that the building took on its current form, thanks to a series of expansions and renovations.

The exterior is sober, marked by a stone portal and a niche with a Marian icon that welcomes those who enter. Inside, natural light filters through small openings and accompanies the gaze towards the main altar. The simple lines and light tones of the walls convey a sense of intimacy and meditation. Every 15th August, the Madonna Assunta is celebrated with a festival that unites faith and popular tradition.

San Nicola's Church

In the heart of the hamlet of Cocumola stands the Church dedicated to San Nicola Vescovo. The building dates back to the end of the 18th century and was expanded between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century with the addition of the side aisles, using the ruins of an ancient 16th-century tower built to defend against Saracen raids. The solid and elegant façade is entirely made of Lecce stone, punctuated by pilasters and capitals, enriched by a triangular tympanum and a central aedicule with the city coat of arms.

The interior, simple and bright, opens into three naves divided by large arches. The vaults of the transept preserve refined floral decorations, while other altars and small frames draw a delicate rhythm along the walls. In the center of the apse there is a wooden statue of San Nicola, patron saint of Cocumola, to whom, at the end of the 19th century, the votive column that stands in the center of the square of the same name was dedicated.

SPECCHIA GALLONE VILLAGE

The rigor of history, the grace of silence

It preserves in its name and in its stone the echo of a deep past. Built as a garrison during the Saracen raids, it owes its name “Gallone” to the feudal lord Gian Battista Gallone, who governed the village from 1618. Dominated by the austere Palazzo Gallone, the hamlet has intertwined its defensive vocation with a discreet elegance. Stories of noble families, popular legends and testimonies of faith emerge among its narrow streets: the Chapel of Sant’Anna and the Church of San Biagio preserve its most intimate identity. A small world balanced between rigor and beauty, where every stone seems to know the meaning of the word “memory”.

Palazzo Gallone

Austere, mysterious and extraordinarily fascinating witness to history, Palazzo Gallone silently dominates the hamlet of Specchia Gallone. Its origins date back to the time when the village, marked by Saracen raids, was a lookout post. Over the centuries, the ancient structure was transformed into a noble residence, enriched with architectural elements that softened the original layout.

The Gallone coat of arms still stands out on the side balustrade, while the main façade bears the insignia of the Sangiovanni family, who lived in the palace at a later time, before it passed to the Basalù family, whose name echoes in a legend with an oriental flavour, linked to the memory of the Turkish siege. It was in honour of Gian Battista Gallone, feudal lord of the village from 1618, that Specchia took the name of “Gallone”. Today the palace remains an identity reference, a noble stone among stones, a discreet guardian of the memory of a place that continues to tell its story.

San Biagio's Church

A point of reference for the community for centuries, the Church of San Biagio is dedicated to the bishop and martyr, patron saint of the hamlet. Already documented in 1584, as an engraving on the side portal recalls, it was renovated after the collapse of the central vault on the initiative of the Gallone family.

The simple and bright interior houses side altars, a chapel dedicated to the Sacred Heart enriched by an elegant seventeenth-century altar. Light enters discreetly from windows and oculi, enhancing the sober lines of the church.

Outside, the clock tower flanks the bell tower, marking the time of the village. Dedicated to San Biagio, protector of the throat, the church continues to preserve the deep devotion of a community that has never stopped recognizing itself in this place.

Sant’Anna's Chappel

Just outside the town of Specchia Gallone, immersed in the mystical quiet of the countryside, is the Chapel of Sant’Anna: a small rock church, simple on the outside but surprising on the inside. The structure, which most likely dates back to the 13th century, is linked to the original Franciscan presence in the area.

In the intimate and cozy interior space, the cycle of frescoes reveals the hidden beauty of the chapel: a Last Judgement that some scholars have compared, for intensity and composition, to that of the Sistine Chapel. Next to it, scenes from the Old and New Testaments develop in a simple and archaic style - from the creation of man to episodes of the Passion - next to Pentecost, works of mercy, saints and Byzantine fragments that emerge from the walls like silent apparitions.

Once upon a time, the women of the village went there to ask for the grace of milk from Sant’Anna, mother of the Virgin and protector of mothers and wet nurses. Today the chapel preserves a silence full of faith and beauty.